PCM set for pharmaceutical cooling boxes
Phase-change cooling units (also called phase-change materials, PCM for short) change phase at a deliberately defined temperature range. In the pharmaceutical sector, this is often 4 or 5 °C (for 2-8 °C cold chain) or 20 °C (for 15-25 °C ambient).
Exactly in the desired range, high energy is absorbed by the battery without the battery becoming significantly warmer.
– This enables a long runtime
– PCMs are very temperature stable
– Need to be preconditioned only slightly below the phase-change temperature
This makes it possible, e.g. in the cold chain range (2-8° C), to precondition the batteries in a normal pharmacist’s or household refrigerator at approx. 2-4° C. This saves the costly purchase of a freezer for deep freezing to below -15° C.
Important key data
Tec4med PCMs meet the following requirements for safe transport:
– Phase change temperature is within the desired range
– Non-toxic (to humans/animals), non-carcinogenic
– Does not react with or act as a solvent for packaging materials
– Can be disposed of in the conventional way (No hazardous waste)
– At least hardly combustible (high flash point)
– Non corrosive
– Good stability during temperature changes (especially no supercooling)
– Only slight volume deviations depending on temperature